Caleb D.

My name is Caleb Darling and I live in Fairbanks, AK, well I suppose technically North Pole, AK. I am in my 4th year at the University of Alaska Fairbanks majoring in Homeland Security & Emergency Management with a concentration in Cybersecurity. This course fulfills a degree requirement for me however I have enjoyed the previous business classes I have taken and look forward to learning more about this subject. I work as a tour guide all over Alaska and as such have done the last 3 years of classes online due to never being able to make it in person to class. Tonight for example I am doing an aurora viewing tour at our lodge in Fox, AK, tomorrow a city tour of Fairbanks/North Pole, Saturday another city tour, and then Sunday I will be headed up to the Arctic Circle! I hope to work with the Alaska State Troopers after college. I moved to Alaska from New York with that plan in mind, years later and I am still sticking to it. One thing on my buket list is to visit Australia some day. In Alaska, I live with my Fiance Sam. My family is entirely in New York besides my Dad whom I convinced to move up here a few years after I moved here, he resides in Anchorage, AK.

3 Comments for “Caleb D.”

Avatar photo

tpstickel

says:

Caleb, Nice to have you here. Tourists in the summer are always plentiful and I am guessing it is very interesting meeting new people. Your cybersecurity degree sounds like a great career. By the way, my entire family lives in NJ – where I grew up.

asreber

says:

Caleb, it sounds like you are helping visitors fulfill their Bucket Lists with your tours. What a cool job you have. It might be difficult making the transition from tour guide to indoor Cybersecurity with the Troopers, but what an important career choice (especially with all of the hacking that is going on these days). Have a great semester.

Avatar photo

Sarah Griffen-Lotz

says:

Hi Caleb, nice to meet you! That aurora viewing tour sounds so fun. I haven’t been to Alaska yet, but have always wanted to see the Aurora Borealis in person. Online classes provide great flexibility for those of us with busy schedules. Looking forward to working with you in this class.