Chris Turcic – Introduction

Hello fellow classmates,

My name is Chris and I currently live in Chugiak Alaska. Chugiak is a small semi-rural community about 30 miles north of Anchorage. A military transfer brought my family to Alaska when I was in the 6th grade. After graduating for Chugiak High School I moved to to the warm, white sandy beaches of the Florida panhandle. I worked in law enforcement for 23 years until being injured in the line of duty in 2012. In 2013 I decided that it was time to stop chasing “bad guys” and I left my chosen career behind for new and exciting adventures. My law enforcement career was quite the adventure and I do miss it at times. You wouldn’t believe some of the stories about what goes down in society. I should write book!!   In the Spring of 2013 a job opportunity   gave me the chance to move back to my hometown in Alaska after being gone for 25 years. Very strange and exciting at the same time, especially when you run in to old classmates at the store. Its fascinating how people change…but anyway.

Now I’m sure you’re wondering. “Why in the heck did you leave sunny Florida and move back to the frozen wilderness of Alaska”? On those cold and bitter Alaska winter days I sometimes find myself asking the same question. I usually try to remind myself of the Florida snakes, bugs, and year round tourists when I need an answer to that question.

I’m currently a senior at UAF pursuing a Bachelors in Emergency Management with a CyberSecurity Management minor. I will finally be graduating at the end of this semester!! YAY!! It’s been a long road but I am very proud of my personal achievements during my academic journey. I am seriously considering pursuing a Masters degree but I need to stay focused on this last semester. Then we’ll see what the future brings. I wish you all the best of luck this semester and feel free to contact me any time if you need any help with your work or would just like to shoot the breeze.

cturcic@alaska.edu

Take care and good luck,

Chris

gravatar

2 Comments for “Chris Turcic – Introduction”

ccgallegos

says:

Hi Chris, I bet you’re appreciating Alaska during hurricane season! I myself just moved to South Florida, the same time Dorian has made its incredibly slow approach! It’s been crazy. Congrats on wrapping up the degree! I too am in the same major with a concentration in cyber security. I have 6 classes to go and want to move into the masters program as well. I worked as a correctional nurse in a few jails and prisons so I can imagine what you may have seen in law enforcement! It is a crazy world. Good luck in class!

Avatar photo

tpstickel

says:

Chris,
Great to have your revolving story here in class. Once an Alaskan, always an Alaskan. I left to work in south Alabama (just above the panhandle) but have also revolved back. It’s home. Glad you are here and look forward to hearing those stories.